On 18/08/18 18:22, Eric Fried wrote:
A year ago we might have developed a feature where one patch would
straddle placement and nova. Six months ago we were developing features
where those patches were separate but in the same series. Today that's
becoming less and less the case: nrp, sharing providers, consumer
generations, and other things mentioned have had their placement side
completed and their nova side - if started at all - done completely
independently. The reshaper series is an exception - but looking back on
its development, Depends-On would have worked just as well.

So you've given a list here of things that you think wouldn't gain any particular benefit from being under the same governance. (Or possibly this is just an argument for being in a separate repo, which everybody already agrees with?) Mel gave a list of things she thinks _would_ benefit from shared governance. Was there anything on her list that you'd disagree with? Is there anything on your list that Mel or Dan or anybody else would disagree with? Why?

(Note: I personally don't even think it matters, but this is how you reach consensus.)

Agree the nova project is overloaded and would benefit from having
broader core reviewer coverage over placement code.  The list Chris
gives above includes more than one non-nova core who should be made
placement cores as soon as that's a thing.

I agree with this, but separate governance is not a prerequisite for it. Having a different/larger core team for a repo in Gerrit is technically very easy, and our governance rules leave it completely up to the project team (represented by the PTL) to decide. Mel indicated what I'd describe as non-opposition to that on IRC, provided that the nova-core team retained core review rights on the placement repo.[1] How does the Nova team as a whole feel about that? Would anybody object? Would that be sufficient to resolve the placement team's concerns about core reviewer coverage?

cheers,
Zane.

[1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-tc/%23openstack-tc.2018-08-20.log.html#t2018-08-20T17:36:58