On 08/22/2018 03:26 PM, Jiri Tomasek wrote:
Hi,

<snip>

    - Plan and template management in git.

       This could be an iterative step towards eliminating Swift in the
undercloud.
       Swift seemed like a natural choice at the time because it was an existing
       OpenStack service.  However, I think git would do a better job at
tracking
       history and comparing changes and is much more lightweight than Swift.
We've
       been managing the config-download directory as a git repo, and I like
this
       direction. For now, we are just putting the whole git repo in Swift, but
       wonder if it makes sense to consider eliminating Swift entirely. We need
       consider the scale of managing thousands of plans for separate edge
       deployments.

       I also think this would be a step towards undercloud simplification.

+1, we need to identify how much this affects the existing API and overall user experience
for managing deployment plans. Currentl plan management options we support are:
- create plan from default files (/usr/share/tht...)
- create/update plan from local directory
- create/update plan by providing tarball
- create/update plan from remote git repository

Ian has been working on similar efforts towards performance improvements [2], It
would be good to take this a step further and evaluate possibility to eliminate Swift entirely.

[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/581153/

We need to do something about ironic-inspector then: it currently depends on swift for storing collected data. Fortunately, there is a spec to fix it, but it hasn't been our team's priority. Reviews are welcome: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/587698/

Dmitry

-- Jirka

<snip>