On 2018-08-28 10:11:18 -0700 (-0700), John Dickinson wrote:
[...]
> It would be *really* helpful to have a simple rule or pattern for
> each file's header. Something like "Copyright (c) <date file was
> created>-present by contributors to this project".

I applaud and share your desire for a clear rule on such things.
Sadly, I have serious doubts it's possible to get one.

> As you mentioned, this issue comes up about every two years, and having
> contributors police (via code review) the appropriate headers for every
> commit is not a sustainable pattern. The only thing I'm sure about is that
> the existing copyright headers are not correct, but I have no idea what the
> correct header are.

The point was not really for reviewers (who can't necessarily know
whether or not a copyright claim is in any way legitimate), but
rather for authors (please don't assign copyright of your works to
the OSF).
--
Jeremy Stanley