On 09/12/2018 01:57 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
Excerpts from Ben Nemec's message of 2018-09-12 13:51:16 -0600:

On 09/04/2018 06:49 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
On 9/4/2018 6:39 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
Would it be helpful to factor some of the common code out into an Oslo
library so projects basically just have to subclass, implement check
functions, and add them to the _upgrade_checks dict? It's not a huge
amount of code, but a bunch of it seems like it would need to be
copy-pasted into every project. I have a tentative topic on the Oslo
PTG schedule for this but figured I should check if it's something we
even want to pursue.

Yeah I'm not opposed to trying to pull the nova stuff into a common
library for easier consumption in other projects, I just haven't devoted
the time for it, nor will I probably have the time to do it. If others
are willing to investigate that it would be great.

Okay, here's a first shot at such a library:
https://github.com/cybertron/oslo.upgradecheck

Lots of rough edges that would need to be addressed before it could be
released, but it demonstrates the basic idea I had in mind for this. The
upgradecheck module contains the common code, and __main__.py is a demo
use of the code.

-Ben

Nice! Let's get that imported into gerrit and keep iterating on it to
make it usable for the goal. Maybe we can get one of the projects most
interested in working on this goal early to help with testing and UX
feedback.

Okay, I got all the test jobs working and even added a few basic unit tests. I think it's about ready for import so I'll take a look at doing that soon.