Hi Oslo Team,

Can we retain “blocking” executor for now in Oslo Messaging?

Some background..

For a while we had to use Oslo Messaging with “blocking” executor in Mistral
because of incompatibility of MySQL driver with green threads when choosing
“eventlet” executor. Under certain conditions we would get deadlocks between
green threads. Some time ago we switched to using PyMysql driver which is
eventlet friendly and did a number of tests that showed that we could safely
switch to “eventlet” executor (with that driver) so we introduced a new option
in Mistral where we could choose an executor in Oslo Messaging. The
corresponding bug is [1].

The issue is that we recently found that not everything actually works as
expected when using combination PyMysql + “eventlet” executor. We also tried
“threading” executor and the system seems to work with it but surprisingly
performance is much worse.

Given all of that we’d like to ask Oslo Team not to remove “blocking” executor
for now completely, if that’s possible. We have a strong motivation to switch
to “eventlet” for other reasons (parallelism => better performance etc.) but
seems like we need some time to make it smoothly.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/mistral/+bug/1696469

Thanks

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia