I seem to recall list discussion on this quite a ways back.  I think most of it
happened on the Docs ml, though. Maybe Juno/Kilo timeframe?  If possible, it
would be good to search over the code bases for places it was called to see its
current footprint.  I'm pretty sure it was the docs folks working with the oslo
folks to make it work.  But then the question was put to the ops folks about
translations of logs (maybe the New York midcycle) and ops don't use
translation.  The ops input was broadcast to dev and docs and most efforts
stopped at that point.  But, I believe some projects had already done some work
on lazy translation.  I suspect the amount done, though was pretty low.

Maybe the fastest way to get info would be to turn it off and see where the
code barfs in a long run (to catch as many projects as possible)?

--rocky