On 01/07/2014 06:20 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

On 1/2/2014 8:29 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
A lot of elastic recheck this fall has been based on the ad hoc needs of
the moment, in between diving down into the race bugs that were
uncovered by it. This week away from it all helped provide a little
perspective on what I think we need to do to call it *done* (i.e.
something akin to a 1.0 even though we are CDing it).

Here is my current thinking on the next major things that should happen.
Opinions welcomed.

(These are roughly in implementation order based on urgency)

= Split of web UI =

The elastic recheck page is becoming a mismash of what was needed at the
time. I think what we really have emerging is:
  * Overall Gate Health
  * Known (to ER) Bugs
  * Unknown (to ER) Bugs - more below

I think the landing page should be Know Bugs, as that's where we want
both bug hunters to go to prioritize things, as well as where people
looking for known bugs should start.

I think the overall Gate Health graphs should move to the zuul status
page. Possibly as part of the collection of graphs at the bottom.

We should have a secondary page (maybe column?) of the un-fingerprinted
recheck bugs, largely to use as candidates for fingerprinting. This will
let us eventually take over /recheck.

= Data Analysis / Graphs =

I spent a bunch of time playing with pandas over break
(http://dague.net/2013/12/30/ipython-notebook-experiments/), it's kind
of awesome. It also made me rethink our approach to handling the data.

I think the rolling average approach we were taking is more precise than
accurate. As these are statistical events they really need error bars.
Because when we have a quiet night, and 1 job fails at 6am in the
morning, the 100% failure rate it reflects in grenade needs to be
quantified that it was 1 of 1, not 50 of 50.

So my feeling is we should move away from the point graphs we have, and
present these as weekly and daily failure rates (with graphs and error
bars). And slice those per job. My suggestion is that we do the actual
visualization with matplotlib because it's super easy to output that
from pandas data sets.

Basically we'll be mining Elastic Search -> Pandas TimeSeries ->
transforms and analysis -> output tables and graphs. This is different
enough from our current jquery graphing that I want to get ACKs before
doing a bunch of work here and finding out people don't like it in
reviews.

Also in this process upgrade the metadata that we provide for each of
those bugs so it's a little more clear what you are looking at.

= Take over of /recheck =

There is still a bunch of useful data coming in on "recheck bug ####"
data which hasn't been curated into ER queries. I think the right thing
to do is treat these as a work queue of bugs we should be building
patterns out of (or completely invalidating). I've got a preliminary
gerrit bulk query piece of code that does this, which would remove the
need of the daemon the way that's currently happening. The gerrit
queries are a little long right now, but I think if we are only doing
this on hourly cron, the additional load will be negligible.

This would get us into a single view, which I think would be more
informative than the one we currently have.

= Categorize all the jobs =

We need a bit of refactoring to let us comment on all the jobs (not just
tempest ones). Basically we assumed pep8 and docs don't fail in the gate
at the beginning. Turns out they do, and are good indicators of infra /
external factor bugs. They are a part of the story so we should put them
in.

= Multi Line Fingerprints =

We've definitely found bugs where we never had a really satisfying
single line match, but we had some great matches if we could do multi
line.

We could do that in ER, however it will mean giving up logstash as our
UI, because those queries can't be done in logstash. So in order to do
this we'll really need to implement some tools - cli minimum, which will
let us easily test a bug. A custom web UI might be in order as well,
though that's going to be it's own chunk of work, that we'll need more
volunteers for.

This would put us in a place where we should have all the infrastructure
to track 90% of the race conditions, and talk about them in certainty as
1%, 5%, 0.1% bugs.

     -Sean

Let's add regexp query support to elastic-recheck so that I could have
fixed this better:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/65303/

Then I could have just filtered the build_name with this:

build_name:/(check|gate)-(tempest|grenade)-[a-z\-]+/

If you want to extend the query files with:

regex:
   - build_name: /(check|gate)-(tempest|grenade)-[a-z\-]+/
   - some_other_field: /some other regex/

And make it work with the query builder, I think we should consider it. It would be good to know how much more expensive those queries get though, because our ES is under decent load as it is.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America