On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Clint Byrum <cl...@fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Fox, Kevin M's message of 2014-01-07 13:11:13 -0800:
>> I was going to stay silent on this one, but since you asked...
>>
>> /me puts his customer hat on
>>
>> We source OpenStack from RDO for the packages and additional integration
>> testing that comes from the project instead of using OpenStack directly. I
>> was a little turned off from Triple-O when I saw it was source only. The
>> feeling being that it is "too green" for our tastes. Which may be
>> inaccurate. While I might be convinced to use source, its a much harder sell
>> to us currently then using packages.
>>

> Kevin, thanks for sharing. I think I understand that it is just a new
> way of thinking and that makes it that much harder to consume.
>
> We have good reasons for not using packages. And we're not just making
> this up as a new crazy idea, we're copying what companies like Netflix
> have published about running at scale. We need to do a better job at
> making sure why we're doing some of the things we're doing.

Do you have a link for the publication handy? I know they use a
blessed AMI approach.  But I'm curious about the "not using packages"
part, and the advantages they get from that.  All I could find from
googling is people trying to install netflix from packages to watch
movies :).

Their AMI build tool seems to indicate they package their apps:
https://github.com/Netflix/aminator

As does this presentation:
http://www.slideshare.net/garethbowles/building-netflixstreamingwithjenkins-juc

--