On 01/15/2014 06:00 PM, Fox, Kevin M wrote:
What about a configuration option on the volume for delete type? I can see some
possible options:

* None - Don't clear on delete. Its junk data for testing and I don't want to
wait.
* Zero - Return zero's from subsequent reads either by zeroing on delete, or by
faking zero reads initially.
* Random - Write random to disk.
* Multipass - Clear out the space in the most secure mode configured. Multiple
passes and such.

Interesting idea, but for the "None" case I'd include the possibility that the user will be encrypting their data.

Also, I don't see any point for random or multipass given that anyone that really cares about it isn't going to trust their unencrypted data to someone else anyways.

Lastly, the "zero on delete" case could conceivably end up costing more since the provider could continue to bill for the volume while it is being deleted.

Chris