On 16 Jan 2014, at 13:54, Ilya Kharin <ikha...@mirantis.com> wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2014, at 12:57, Oleg Gelbukh <ogelb...@mirantis.com> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2014-01-15 at 21:46 +0000, Hugh Saunders wrote:
>> > On 15 January 2014 21:14, Ilya Kharin <ikha...@mirantis.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >         Hi, guys,
>> >
>> >         In Rally there is an entity that represents installed instance
>> >         of OpenStack.
>> >         What you think about a proper name for the entity? (a
>> >         Deployment, a Cluster, an Installation, an Instance or
>> >         something else)
>> >
>> > I vote for Deployment.
>>
>> Doesn't it sound a bit weird to deploy a Deployment? Otherwise, it does not
>> really matter how it is called as long as the naming is consistent.
>>
>> I have another question. Shoud we think about separation of Deployment and
>> Endpoint entities in API? Deployment is an object managed by deployment
>> engine, while Endpoint can refer to existing installation which has nothing
>> to do with deployment engine. It means that different sets of operations are
>> applicable to those entities. What do you think?
>
> Yep, you are right. It's very usefull because currently there is an
> DummyEngine which does nothing, just returns an endpoint. So, an Endpoint
> should be an entity that represents an installed OpenStack and contains an
> endpoint and credentials. In this case the deployment process should be
> changed. As a result of the deployment process an instance of an Endpoint
> will created. To start a Task an instance of an Endpoint should be passed.
Also, if try to imagine this in examples, then this can be represented like
that:

1) In case of an existent cloud, only an Endpoint should be added:

   $ cat endpoint.jso
   {
       "auth_url": "http://example.com:5000/v2.0";,
       "username": "admin",
       "password": "secret",
       "tenant_name": "demo"
   }
   $ rally endpoint add endpoint.json

The last command shows an endpoint_id of an added endpoint.

2.1) In case when OpenStack should be deployed:

    $ rally deployment create --filename=deployment.json

2.2) Wait when a status has a proper value ("deploy->finished").

    $ rally deployment list

In case of success deployment an endpoint is going to be automatically created
for the deployment:

    $ rally endpoint list

3) To start a task an endpoint_id is required. There is one endpoint after (1)
or (2.2) step, use it:

    $ rally task start --endpoint-id=<endpoint_id> --task task.json