From: CARVER, PAUL [mailto:pc2...@att.com]
Sent: January-16-14 8:34 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] Proposal for dd disk i/o performance blueprint of
cinder.

Clint Byrum wrote:

>Is that really a path worth going down, given that tenant-A could just
>drop evil firmware in any number of places, and thus all tenants
>afterward are owned anyway?

I think a change of subject line is in order for this topic (assuming it hasn't
been discussed in sufficient depth already). I propose "[Ironic] Evil Firmware"
but I didn't change it on this message in case folks interested in this thread
aren't reading Ironic threads.

Ensuring clean firmware is definitely something Ironic needs to account for.
Unless you're intending to say that multi-tenant bare metal is a dead end that
shouldn't be done at all.

As long as anyone is considering Ironic and bare metal in general as a viable
project and service it is critically important that people are focused on how
to ensure that a server released by one tenant is "clean" before being provided
to another tenant.

It doesn't even have to be "evil" firmware. Simply providing a tenant with a
server where the previous tenant screwed up a firmware update or messed with
BIOS settings or whatever is a problem. If you're going to lease bare metal out
on a short term basis you've GOT to have some sort of QC to ensure that when
the hardware is reused for another tenant it's as good as new.

If not, it will be all too common for a tenant to receive a bare metal server
that's been screwed up by a previous tenant through incompetence as much as
through maliciousness.