On 01/22/2014 05:19 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose having a integration test job in Oslo incubator
>> that syncs in the code, similar to how we do global requirements.
>
> I don't think that would be possible as a voting job, since the point of
> oslo-incubator is to be able to break the API compatibility.

I'm starting to feel like we need to revisit that point. Because what
happens now is a chunk of code gets worked off in a corner, possibly
randomly changing interfaces, not running unit tests in a way that we
know it's multi process safe.

So there ends up being a ton of blind trust in the sync right now. Which
is why the syncs are coming slower, and you'll have nova 4 - 6 months
behind on many modules, missing a critical bug fix that's buried some
where inside a bunch of other interface changes that are expensive. (Not
theoretical, I just tripped over this in Dec).

I think we need to graduate things to stable interfaces a lot faster.
Realizing that stable just means "have to deprecate to change it". So
the interface is still changeable, just requires standard deprecation
techniques. Which we are trying to get more python libraries to do
anyway, so it would be good if we built up a bunch of best practices here.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America