A while back a change (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/47820/) was made to allow enabling mysql traditional mode, which tightens up mysql's input checking to disallow things like silent truncation of strings that exceed the column's allowed length and invalid dates (as I understand it).

IMHO, some compelling arguments were made that we should always be using traditional mode and as such we started logging a warning if it was not enabled. It has recently come to my attention (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/68474/) that not everyone agrees, so I wanted to bring it to the list to get as wide an audience for the discussion as possible and hopefully come to a consensus so we don't end up having this discussion every few months.

I remain of the opinion that traditional mode is a good thing and we _should_ be enabling it. I would call silent truncation and bogus date values bugs that should be fixed, but maybe there are other implications of this mode that I'm not aware of.

It was also pointed out that the warning is logged even if the user forces traditional mode through my.cnf. While this certainly solves the underlying problem, it doesn't change the fact that the application was trying to do something bad. We tried to make it clear in the log message that this is a developer problem and the user needs to pester the developer to enable the mode, but maybe there's more discussion that needs to go on there as well.

Any thoughts on this would be welcomed.  Thanks.

-Ben