Please see inline

From: Ian Wells [mailto:ijw.ubu...@cack.org.uk]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:17 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] PCI pass-through SRIOV on Jan. 29th

On 29 January 2014 23:50, Robert Kukura
<rkuk...@redhat.com<mailto:rkuk...@redhat.com>> wrote:
On 01/29/2014 05:44 PM, Robert Li (baoli) wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> that's a good find. profileid as part of IEEE 802.1br needs to be in
> binding:profile, and can be specified by a normal user, and later possibly
> the pci_flavor. Would it be wrong to say something as in below in the
> policy.json?
>  "create_port:binding:vnic_type": "rule:admin_or_network_owner"
>  "create_port:binding:profile:profileid": "rule:admin_or_network_owner"
Maybe, but a normal user that owns a network has no visibility into the
underlying details (such as the providernet extension attributes.

I'm with Bob on this, I think - I would expect that vnic_type is passed in by
the user (user readable, and writeable, at least if the port is not attached)
and then may need to be reflected back, if present, in the 'binding' attribute
via the port binding extension (unless Nova can just go look for it - I'm not
clear on what's possible here).
[IrenaB] I would prefer not to add new extension for vnic_type. I think it fits
well into port binding extension, and it may be reasonable to follow the policy
rules as Robert suggested. The way user specifies the vnic_type via nova API is
currently left out for short term. Based on previous PCI meeting discussions,
it was raised by John that regular user may be required to set vNIC flavor, but
he definitely not expected to manage 'driver' level details of the way to
connect vNIC.
For me it looks like neutron port can handle vnic_type via port binding, and
the question is whether it is standalone attribute on port binding or a key,val
pair on port binding:profile.

Also, would a normal cloud user really know what pci_flavor to use?
Isn't all this kind of detail hidden from a normal user within the nova
VM flavor (or host aggregate or whatever) pre-configured by the admin?

Flavors are user-visible, analogous to Nova's machine flavors, they're just not
user editable.  I'm not sure where port profiles come from.
--
Ian.