On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellm...@dreamhost.com>wrote:

>
>
>
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Ben Nemec <openst...@nemebean.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 2014-02-05 10:58, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Ben Nemec <openst...@nemebean.com>wrote:
>>
>>>   On 2014-02-05 09:05, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Ben Nemec <openst...@nemebean.com>wrote:
>>>
>>>>  On 2014-01-08 12:14, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Ben Nemec <openst...@nemebean.com>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On 2014-01-08 11:16, Sean Dague wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> On 01/08/2014 12:06 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>>>>> <snip>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Yeah, that's what made me start thinking oslo.sphinx should be called
>>>>>>> something else.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Sean, how strongly do you feel about not installing oslo.sphinx in
>>>>>>> devstack? I see your point, I'm just looking for alternatives to the
>>>>>>> hassle of renaming oslo.sphinx.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Doing the git thing is definitely not the right thing. But I guess I
>>>>>> got
>>>>>> lost somewhere along the way about what the actual problem is. Can
>>>>>> someone write that up concisely? With all the things that have been
>>>>>> tried/failed, why certain things fail, etc.
>>>>>
>>>>>  The problem seems to be when we pip install -e oslo.config on the
>>>>> system, then pip install oslo.sphinx in a venv.  oslo.config is 
>>>>> unavailable
>>>>> in the venv, apparently because the namespace package for o.s causes the
>>>>> egg-link for o.c to be ignored.  Pretty much every other combination I've
>>>>> tried (regular pip install of both, or pip install -e of both, regardless
>>>>> of where they are) works fine, but there seem to be other issues with all
>>>>> of the other options we've explored so far.
>>>>>
>>>>> We can't remove the pip install -e of oslo.config because it has to be
>>>>> used for gating, and we can't pip install -e oslo.sphinx because it's not 
>>>>> a
>>>>> runtime dep so it doesn't belong in the gate.  Changing the toplevel
>>>>> package for oslo.sphinx was also mentioned, but has obvious drawbacks too.
>>>>>
>>>>> I think that about covers what I know so far.
>>>>
>>>>  Here's a link dstufft provided to the pip bug tracking this problem:
>>>> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/3
>>>> Doug
>>>>
>>>>   This just bit me again trying to run unit tests against a fresh Nova
>>>> tree.    I don't think it's just me either - Matt Riedemann said he has
>>>> been disabling site-packages in tox.ini for local tox runs.  We really need
>>>> to do _something_ about this, even if it's just disabling site-packages by
>>>> default in tox.ini for the affected projects.  A different option would be
>>>> nice, but based on our previous discussion I'm not sure we're going to find
>>>> one.
>>>> Thoughts?
>>>>
>>>  Is the problem isolated to oslo.sphinx? That is, do we end up with any
>>> configurations where we have 2 oslo libraries installed in different modes
>>> (development and "regular") where one of those 2 libraries is not
>>> oslo.sphinx? Because if the issue is really just oslo.sphinx, we can rename
>>> that to move it out of the namespace package.
>>>
>>>    oslo.sphinx is the only one that has triggered this for me so far.
>>> I think it's less likely to happen with the others because they tend to be
>>> runtime dependencies so they get installed in devstack, whereas oslo.sphinx
>>> doesn't because it's a build dep (AIUI anyway).
>>>
>>
>>  That's pretty much what I expected.
>>
>> Can we get a volunteer to work on renaming oslo.sphinx?
>>
>>
>>   I'm winding down on the parallel testing work so I could look at this
>> next.  I don't know exactly what is going to be involved in the rename
>> though.
>>
>> We also need to decide what we're going to call it.  I haven't come up
>> with any suggestions that I'm particularly in love with so far. :-/
>>
>
> Yeah, I haven't come up with anything good, either.
>
> oslosphinx?
>
> openstacksphinx?
>
> We will need to:
>
> - rename the git repository -- we have some other renames planned for this
> Friday, so we could possibly take care of that one this week
> - make sure the metadata file for packaging the new library is correct in
> the new repo
> - prepare a release under the new name so it ends up on PyPI
> - update the sphinx conf.py in all consuming projects to use the new name,
> and change their test-requirements.txt to refer to the new name (or finally
> add a doc-requirements.txt for doc jobs)
> - remove oslo.sphinx from pypi so no one uses it accidentally
>
> Doug
>


This work has started:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/I7788a9d6b5984fdfcc4678f2182104d2eb8a2be0,n,z

Doug

_______________________________________________
OpenStack-dev mailing list
OpenStack-dev@lists.openstack.org
http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev

Reply via email to