A few weeks ago we realized one of the wrecking balls in the gate were
non overlapping requirements changes, like this -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/72475/

Regular jobs in the gate have to use the OpenStack mirror. Requirements
repo doesn't, because it needs to be able to test things not in the mirror.

So when a requirements job goes into the gate, everything behind it will
be using the new requirements. But the mirror isn't updated until the
requirements change merges.

So if you make a non overlapping change like that, for 1hr (or more)
everything in the wake of the requirements job gets blown up in global
requirements because it can't install that from the mirror.

This issue is partially synthetic, however it does raise a good issue
for continuous deployed environments, because assuming atomic upgrade of
2 code bases isn't a good assumption.

Anyway, the point of this email is we really shouldn't be approving
requirements changes that are disjoint upgrades like that, because they
basically mean they'll trigger 10 - 20 -2s of other people's patches in
the gate.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague