EIP will be allocated from public pools. So in effect public pools and
shared networks are only DC admin functions. Not available to VPC
users.
There is a implicit external gateway. When one creates NAT instance or
VPN instance, external interfaces of these interfaces come from the
shared network which can be configured by the DC admin.

Regards
-Harshad