Hi Angus,

I think that we need to keep python 2 as a lot of enterprise customers
still use python 2.x versions. If you target Solum only for python 3 users
you will significantly reduce potential customer adoption.

I would rather spend some time and research round option #3. I saw in
openstack-dev mailing list that there is a work around asyncio native in
py3 and its port for python2.

Here is related BP https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo/blueprints/asyncio

Here is the e-mail thread:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-February/026237.html

Thanks
Gosha

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Angus Salkeld
<angus.salk...@rackspace.com>wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I need to use some async / threaded behaviour to solum for image
> creation (all I need right now is to run a job asyncronously).
>
> eventlet is python 2 only
> tulip is python 3 only
> tornado (supports 2 + 3) http://www.tornadoweb.org
> twisted
> pyev
> etc...

> 1) use eventlet and have the same path of migration as the rest
>    of openstack. Basically give up python 3 for now.
> 2) use tulip and give up python 2
> 3) choose an existing framework that supports both py2+3
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Since we are starting out fresh, I'd suggest "2)".
> This will mean some learning, but that is always fun and would be benefical
> to other projects to see how this code looks.
>
> I am not sure how important support for python 2 is, I'd suggest
> supporting python 3 is more important.
>
> -Angus

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Architect,