On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:45:03 -0500
Sean Dague <s...@dague.net> wrote:

> So I'm one of the first people to utter "if it isn't tested, it's
> probably broken", however I also think we need to be realistic about
> the fact that if you did out the permutations of dependencies and
> config options, we'd have as many test matrix scenarios as grains of
> sand on the planet.

I think it makes sense to at test with all the most recent versions.
Perhaps all the lowest as well, though I'm not sure how common that
configuration would really be. And we can't do all of the various
combinations.

But how about testing on a periodic job the version
configurations used by some of the major distros? So we know on which
distros we're going to be broken on by default (if we don't get around
to fixing them straight away) which will really help inform those
trying out the latest from git. Or are the distros doing this anyway
(either way having the info public and feeding back to our bug tracker
would be handy).

Chris