From: Qin Zhao <chaoc...@gmail.com<mailto:chaoc...@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:05 PM
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Nova][VMWare] VMware VM snapshot

What I mean is the snapshot of vsphere, which is describe in this page -->
http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc_50%2FGUID-CA948C69-7F58-4519-AEB1-739545EA94E5.html

It is very useful, if the user plan to perform some risky operations in a VM. I
am not quite sure if we can model it in Nova, and let the user to create
snapshot chain via Nova api. Has it been discussed in design session or mail
group? Anybody know that?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 6:40 PM, John Garbutt
<j...@johngarbutt.com<mailto:j...@johngarbutt.com>> wrote:
On 25 February 2014 09:27, Qin Zhao
<chaoc...@gmail.com<mailto:chaoc...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One simple question about VCenter driver. I feel the VM snapshot function of
> VCenter is very useful and is loved by VCenter users. Does anybody think
> about to let VCenter driver support it?

It depends if that can be modelled well with the current
Nova/Cinder/Glance primitives.

If you do boot from volume, and you see the volume snapshots, and they
behave how cinder expects, and you can model that snapshot as an image
in glance that you can boot new instances from, then maybe it would
work just fine. But we need to take care not to bend the current API
primitives too far out of place.

I remember there being some talk about this at the last summit. How did that go?

John

Qin Zhao