On 03/01/2014 03:30 PM, John Griffith wrote:
> I just wanted to send out a quick note on a topic that came up recently.
>  Unfortunately the folks that I'd like to read this most; don't
> participate on the ML typically, but I'd at least like to raise some
> community awareness.
[...]

Thanks for bringing this up John, well done.

TL;DR: I'm not a big fan of applying "public peer pressure" to solve the
problem and I appreciate you not naming names this time. We have more
tools to use before we reach that point.

The community has grown at an incredible pace, bringing in people and
companies from all over the place, from different parts of the world and
from industries that have different habits.

Recently we have included in our ranks developers that work for
companies that have explicit rules to block IRC on their networks, or
that have strong filters on the websites their employees can visit, some
can't even join public mailing lists. These people already are forced to
invent workarounds to do their jobs: they need encouragement, not shaming.

We're not going to win any more friends if we publicly ridiculize, shame
companies and people that fail to work in public like we're used to.  I
think we'll keep having success if we teach, empower and encourage them
to do things the OpenStack way.

In order to do that I started working months ago an onboarding program
for new developers: provide a way for newcomers to learn our tools and
technical workflow on one hand and our social behavior, what we find
acceptable and what we absolutely cannot tolerate.  We'll have a first
edition of this program in Atlanta. Some more details on the wiki
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_Upstream_Training/Info

and the exact dates/place for the sessions in Atlanta in a couple of days.

Cheers,
stef

PS please don't compare us or anybody to Linux community: they are
different
<http://maffulli.net/2013/07/17/what-linus-can-do-inside-linux-community-and-you-cant-do-in-yours/>