On 03/06/2014 07:57 AM, IWAMOTO Toshihiro wrote:
At Wed, 05 Mar 2014 15:42:54 +0100,
Miguel Angel Ajo wrote:
3) I also find 10 minutes a long time to setup 192 networks/basic tenant
structures, I wonder if that time could be reduced by conversion
of system process calls into system library calls (I know we don't have
libraries for iproute, iptables?, and many other things... but it's a
problem that's probably worth looking at.)

Try benchmarking

    $ sudo ip netns exec qfoobar /bin/echo

You're totally right, that takes the same time as rootwrap itself. It's another point to think about from the performance point of view.

An interesting read:
http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/ip-netns.8.html

ip netns does a lot of mounts around to simulate a normal environment,
where an netns-aware application could avoid all this.

Network namespace switching costs almost as much as a rootwrap
execution, IIRC.

Execution coalesceing is not enough in this case and we would need to
change how Neutron issues commands, IMO.

Yes, one option could be to coalesce all calls that go into
a namespace into a shell script and run this in the
ootwrap > ip netns exec

But we might find a mechanism to determine if some of the steps failed, and what was the result / output, something like failing line + result code. I'm not sure if we rely on stdout/stderr results at any time.