On 03/14/2014 04:49 AM, victor stinner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working for eNovance and we are working on porting OpenStack to Python 3.
> Status of the port:
>
>   http://techs.enovance.com/6722/status-of-the-openstack-port-to-python-3-2
>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3
>
> I understand that it becomes late for Python 3 changes before Icehouse
> release, but I don't agree on the second part of your mail.
>
> David wrote:
>> (...) I'm not sure it makes sense to do this work piecemeal until
>> we are near ready to introduce a py3 gate job.
>
> I'm not sure that I understood correctly. You want first to see all Python 3
> tests pass, and then accept changes to fix Python 3 issues? Adding a py33
> gate is nice, but it is almost useless before it becomes voting if nobody
> reads failures. And I don't expect that anyone will care of the py33 gate
> before it becomes voting.
>
> It's not possible to fix all Python 3 issues at once. It requires many small
> changes which are carefully viewed and discussed. It is not possible to see
> all issues at once neither. For example, you have first to fix obvious syntax
> errors to see less trivial Python 3 issues. Changes are done incrementally,
> as other changes in OpenStack.
>
> Yes, it's possible to reintroduce Python 3 incompatible code, but I expect
> much fewer "regressions" compared to the number of fixed issues.
>
> Cyril Roelandt is improving the hacking tool to detect the most obvious cases
> of Python 3 incompatible code:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/80171/
>
> We are working on clients and Olso Incubator first, but we are also preparing
> the port of servers.

The issue is this generates a lot of unrelated churn and merge conflicts
with actual feature code and bug fixes.

So what we need is a game plan, which goes as follows:

1. demonstrate all requirements.txt and test-requirements.txt are
python3 compatible
1.1 if they aren't work on a remediation plan to get us there

once completed
2. come up with an audit plan on the obvious python3 issues

3. designate a focused 2 week window to land all the python3 issues and
turn on gating, we'll make it a priority review topic during that period
of time.

That 2 week window needs to happen within milestone 1 or 2 of a cycle.
After that, it's a distraction. So if the python 3 team doesn't have the
ducks in a row by then, we punt to next release.

Because I think the one of patch model on changes like this just doesn't
work, and leaves us in this very weird state of code.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America