Hi everyone,

So a little while ago we noticed that in all the gate runs one of the ceilometer
cli tests is consistently in the list of slowest tests. (and often the slowest)
This was a bit surprising given the nature of the cli tests we expect them to
execute very quickly.

test_ceilometer_resource_list which just calls ceilometer resource_list from the
CLI once is taking >=2 min to respond. For example:
http://logs.openstack.org/68/80168/3/gate/gate-tempest-dsvm-postgres-full/07ab7f5/logs/tempest.txt.gz#_2014-03-17_17_08_25_003
(where it takes > 3min)

The cli tests are supposed to be quick read-only sanity checks of the cli
functionality and really shouldn't ever be on the list of slowest tests for a
gate run. I think there was possibly a performance regression recently in
ceilometer because from I can tell this test used to normally take ~60 sec.
(which honestly is probably too slow for a cli test too) but it is currently
much slower than that.

>From logstash it seems there are still some cases when the resource list takes
as long to execute as it used to, but the majority of runs take a long time:
http://goo.gl/smJPB9

In the short term I've pushed out a patch that will remove this test from gate
runs: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/81036 But, I thought it would be good to
bring this up on the ML to try and figure out what changed or why this is so
slow.

Thanks,

-Matt Treinish