Hi Thomas,

I think we went to the second loop of the discussion about generic language
concepts.  Murano does not use a new language for the sole purpose of
having parameters, constraints and polymorphism. These are generic concepts
which are common for different languages, so keeping arguing about these
generic concepts is just like a holy war  like Python vs. C. Keeping these
arguments is just like to say that we don't need Python as functions and
parameters already exists in C which is used under the hood in Python.

Yes Murano DSL have some generic concepts similar to HOT. I think this is a
benefit as user will see the familiar syntax constructions and it will be a
lower threshold for him to start using Murano DSL.

In a simplified view Murano uses DSL for application definition to solve
several particular problems:
a) control UI rendering of Application Catalog
b) control HOT template generation

These aspects are not covered in HOT and probably should not be covered. I
don't like an idea of expressing HOT template generation in HOT as it
sounds like a creation another Lisp like language :-)

I don't think that your statement that most of the people in the community
are against new DSL is a right summary. There are some disagreements how it
should look like and what are the goals. You will be probably surprised but
we are not the first who use DSL for HOT templates generation. Here is an
e-mail thread right about Ruby based DSL used in IBM for the same purpose:
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-February/026606.html

The term "Orchestration" is quite generic. Saying that orchestration should
be Heat job sounds like a well know Henry Ford's phrase "You can have any
colour as long as it's black.".
I think this is again a lack of understanding of the difference between
Orchestration program and Heat project. There are many aspects of
Orchestration and OpenStack has the Orchestration program for the projects
which are focused on some aspects of orchestration. Heat is one of the
project inside Orchestration program but it does not mean that Heat should
cover everything. That is why we discussed in this thread how workflows
aspects should be aligned and how they should be placed into this
Orchestration program.

Thanks
Georgy

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Dmitry <mey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> MuranoPL supposed to provide a solution for the real needs to manage
> services in the centralized manner and to allow cloud provider customers to
> create their own services.
> The application catalog similar to AppDirect (www.appdirect.com) natively
> supported by OpenStack is a huge step forward.
> Think about Amazon which provides different services for the different
> needs: Amazon Cloud Formation, Amazon OpsWorks and Amazon Beanstalk.
> Following the similar logic (which is fully makes sense for me), OpenStack
> should provide resource reservation and orchestration (Heat and Climate),
> Application Catalog (Murano) and PaaS (Solum).
> Every project can live in harmony with other and contribute for the cloud
> service provider service completeness.
> This is my opinion and i would happy to use Murano in our internal
> solution.

Georgy Okrokvertskhov
Architect,
OpenStack Platform Products,