On 04/02/2014 08:41 PM, Keith Bray wrote:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/StackMetadata

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/UI

-Keith

Keith,

Taking a look at the UI specification, I thought I'd take a look at adding parameter grouping and ordering to the hot_spec.rst file. That seems like a really nice constrained use case with a clear way to validate that folks aren't adding magic to the template for their custom environments. During that, I noticed it is is already implemented.

What is nice about this specific use case is it is something that can be validated by the parser. For example, the parser could enforce that parameters in the parameter-groups section actually exist as parameters in the parameters section. Essentially this particular use case *enforces* good heat template implementation without an opportunity for HOT template developers to jam customized data blobs into the template.

Stack keywords on the other hand doesn't necessarily follow this model. I understand the use case, but it would be possible to jam unstructured metadata into the template. That said, the limitations on the jamming custom metadata are one deep and it has a clear use case (categorization of templates for support/UI rendering purposes).

I could be wrong, but I think the aversion to a general metadata section is centered around the problem of different people doing different things in a non-standardized way.

I think if we were to revisit the metadata proposal, one thing that might lead to a more successful outcome is actually defining what goes in the metadata, rather then allowing the metadata to be completely free-form as the HOT developer sees fit to implement it.

For example just taking the keywords proposal:
metadata:
  composed_of:
  - wordpress
  - mysql
  architecture:
  - lamp

Even though this metadata can't necessarily be validated, it can be documented. I definitely have a -2 aversion to free-form metadata structuring, and am +0 on allowing the information to be declared in a non-validated way.

I don't believe the idea of structured metadata based upon real use cases has really been explored or -2'ed.

Regards,
-steve