Anita Kuno <ante...@anteaya.info> wrote on 04/15/2014 09:41:17 AM:
> On 04/15/2014 10:20 AM, Kurt Taylor wrote:
> >

> > Sorry if you get this twice.
> >
> > Since summit is approaching quickly, I wanted to see if anyone had
interest
> > in forming a meetup for 3rd party testing. This would be a group for
> > helping the project cores by helping ourselves and hopefully improving
> > overall CI rollout.
> >
> > Some topics to discuss:  I'd at least like to get a standard tag that
would
> > help with email filtering, but we could also build a FAQ and
documentation
> > contributions to improve the content of the 3rd party testing. We could
> > also document different use cases and best practices for each on how
> > different testers solved problems they encountered for their
environment. I
> > don't know how long we would be able to meet, so this may just be an
> > organizational meeting, focusing on how to best share this info.
> >
> > I started an etherpad for discussion topics and eventual agenda here:
> > https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/3rdPartyTesting
> >
> > I have not worked out all the details for when and where to meet, but I
> > would be happy to set it up and facilitate the discussion. I wanted to
see
> > if there was any interest before I took it any further.
> >
> > Any interest?

> There is a summit design session proposed to address this:
> http://summit.openstack.org/cfp/details/59
>
> Entitled: Improving Third Party Testing
>
> If you would like to add the information you would like to cover as a
> comment to the proposal that would help ensure the content gets covered.

Thanks for your response. I did not know about this and I am glad this is
proposed. It was my intention originally to propose this type of
discussion, but after bringing this up in -infra, it was not something the
team wanted to discuss in a design session. They suggested a BOF or meetup
at the infra table in developer's lounge. I do not know yet if that
location is still a possibility or not, as I indicated in my email.

> Since the purpose of the design summit is to cover material like this, I
> encourage people to get familiar with the summit sessions that are
> already proposed: http://summit.openstack.org/ and to propose sessions
> that you would like covered if you don't see a current proposal for your
> topic of interest.
>
> Since most of what I saw in the Neutron design summit sessions last year
> is counter to how most other programs use their design summit sessions,
> I encourage you to consider using the design summit session format.
> Neutron design summit sessions end up being more like conference
> presentations and that is not what the design summit was meant to be at
all.

> Design summit sessions are meant to be group discussion chaired by
> either the proposer of the session or someone else but equally discussed
> by all participants. They are not meant to be a presentation with a
> passive audience.

Yes, I am very familiar with UDS-style design summits and have lead several
design sessions in the past on other projects. I think this is a big factor
in the enormous success of the OpenStack project.

There is probably some overlap in the proposed design session and the
meetup. But, I actually see the meetup as more of a organizational meeting
to pull together the developers with experience in CI to share ideas and
how we got past the problems we found.

Maybe we can wait for the outcome of the session discussion and determine
next steps after summit?

Thanks again!

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)
OpenStack Development Lead - PowerKVM CI
IBM Linux Technology Center