From: Jay Pipes [mailto:jaypi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:23 PM
To: Yuanjing (D)
Cc: Daniel Berrange; Joe Gordon; openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Openstack] [Nova] BP about usb-passthrough RE: Change in
openstack/nova-specs[master]: Support specify USB controller for USB-passthrough

On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 02:01 +0000, Yuanjing (D) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have proposed three BPs about usb-passthrough.
> 1. Usb-passthrough is the core function I want to provide which is in
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/86404/.
> 2. The function of specify usb controller for usb-passthrough is for
> refine the use of Usb-passthrough, which is in
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/88337/.
> 3. The function of specify usb controller is the prerequisite of
> specify usb controller for usb-passthrough which is in
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/88334.
>
> The backgrounds are:
> I want to make a detailed explanation about why I suggest to provide this
> function.
>
> We provide VDI(Virtual Desktop) and server virtualization solutions for
> customers, our customers have strong requirements for using USB devices.
>
> The typical use cases and our solutions are described as below:
>
> 1.In VDI solution, customers want to use local USB printers or USB
> scanners with TC(Thin-Client), because remote desktop protocol like ICA have
> already support USB-redirection, so customers only need to attach USB device
> to TC, the protocol can map USB device to VM.
>
> 2. In virtualization solution, when starting or restarting some
> business-critical applications, a connected USB-KEY is needed for
> authentication, some applications even need a daily authentication by
> USB-KEY. we suggest the following solutions:
> (1) Using physical 'USB-HUB' box and technology of USB-redirection
> over TCP/IP. Customers need to buy USB-HUB and install software in guest os,
> the software helps redirecting USB device to VM.
>
> (2) Using USB-Passthrough and USB hot-plug functions provided by our
> virtualization software. The end users(normally application or system
> administrators) insert USB devices to host that containing the VM, then  can
> see USB device list in portal and choose USB device to attach.
>
> This solution has advantages that
> 1. It doesn't need additional physical devices
>
> 2. It doesn't need a special server to run spice client for
> USB-Redirection
>
> 3. Business-critical applications commonly need stable and long-standing
> USB-KEY to attach, USB-Passthrough maybe more stable than USB-Redirection
> over TCP/IP or remote desktop protocol.

Hi Jing, thx for your above email.

I think of cloud computing as providing a way for users to *not* have to manage
hardware -- they are free to work with virtual servers and then throw them away
when not needed or get a new one quickly if something bad happens.

I'm afraid I don't see any relation to what I think of as "cloud" in the second
use case you list above. I don't think having a system administrator running
around to a physical machine in a datacenter and plugging in a USB key is a
"cloudy" activity.

For the first use case, however, where the user inserts a USB device on the
thin client and USB redirection allows the VM to read/write to the USB device
on the thin client, I certainly see a good use case there.

However, I am uncertain which of your blueprints deals exclusively with the
first use case. Could you advise on that?

Best,
-jay