I just looked at a patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/90310/3 which was given a -1 due to not checking that every call to list_hosts returns 200. I realized that we don't have a shared understanding or policy about this. We need to make sure that each api is tested to return the right response, but many tests need to call multiple apis in support of the one they are actually testing. It seems silly to have the caller check the response of every api call. Currently there are many, if not the majority of, cases where api calls are made without checking the response code. I see a few possibilities:

1. Move all response code checking to the tempest clients. They are already checking for failure codes and are now doing validation of json response and headers as well. Callers would only do an explicit check if there were multiple success codes possible.

2. Have a clear policy of when callers should check response codes and apply it.

I think the first approach has a lot of advantages. Thoughts?

 -David