On 5/19/2014 10:53 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
I was looking through this timeout bug [1] this morning and am able to
correlate that around the time of the image snapshot timeout, ceilometer
was really hammering CPU on the host.  There are already threads on
ceilometer performance and how that needs to be improved for Tempest
runs so I don't want to get into that here.

What I'm thinking about is if there is a way to be smarter about how we
do timeouts in the tests, rather than just rely on globally configured
hard-coded timeouts which are bound to fail intermittently in dynamic
environments like this.

I'm thinking something along the lines of keeping track of CPU stats on
intervals in our waiter loops, then when we reach our configured
timeout, calculate the average CPU load/idle and if it falls below some
threshold, we cut the timeout in half and redo the timeout loop - and we
continue that until our timeout reaches some level that no longer makes
sense, like once it drops less than a minute for example.

Are there other ideas here?  My main concern is the number of random
timeout failures we see in the tests and then people are trying to
fingerprint them with elastic-recheck but the queries are so generic
they are not really useful.  We now put the test class and test case in
the compute test timeout messages, but it's also not very useful to
fingerprint every individual permutation of test class/case that we can
hit a timeout in.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1320617

This change to devstack should help [1].

It would be good if we actually used the default timeouts we have configured in Tempest rather than hard-coding them in devstack based on the latest state of the gate at the time.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/94221/

Matt Riedemann