On 06/18/2014 01:15 PM, Day, Phil wrote:
-----Original Message----- From: Ahmed RAHAL
[mailto:ara...@iweb.com] Sent: 18 June 2014 01:21 To:
openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org Subject: Re: [openstack-dev]
[nova] locked instances and snaphot

Hi there,

Le 2014-06-16 15:28, melanie witt a écrit :
Hi all,

[...]

During the patch review, a reviewer raised a concern about the
purpose of instance locking and whether prevention of snapshot
while an instance is locked is appropriate. From what we
understand, instance lock is meant to prevent unwanted
modification of an instance. Is snapshotting considered a logical
modification of an instance? That is, if an instance is locked to
a user, they take a snapshot, create another instance using that
snapshot, and modify the instance, have they essentially modified
the original locked instance?

I wanted to get input from the ML on whether it makes sense to
disallow snapshot an instance is locked.

Beyond 'preventing accidental change to the instance', locking
could be seen as 'preventing any operation' to the instance. If I,
as a user, lock an instance, it certainly only prevents me from
accidentally deleting the VM. As I can unlock whenever I need to,
there seems to be no other use case (chmod-like).

It bocks any operation that would stop the instance from changing
state:  Delete, stop, start, reboot, rebuild, resize, shelve, pause,
resume, etc

In keeping with that I don't see why it should block a snapshot, and
having to unlock it to take a snapshot doesn't feel good either.

VMs should be cattle, not pets, but yes, a locked instance should be able to be snapshotted, for sure, IMO.

If I, as an admin, lock an instance, I am preventing operations on
a VM and am preventing an ordinary user from overriding the lock.

The driver for doing this as an admin is slightly different - its to
stop the user from changing the state of an instance rather than a
protection.   A couple of use cases: - if you want to migrate a VM
and the user is running a continual sequence of say reboot commands
at it putting an admin lock in place gives you a way to break into
that cycle. - There are a few security cases where we need to take
over control of an instance, and make sure it doesn't get deleted by
the user

But the user would still be able to SSH into their instance and do:

shutdown -r now

Best,
-jay

This is a form of authority enforcing that maybe should prevent
even snapshots to be taken off that VM. The thing is that enforcing
this beyond the limits of nova is AFAIK not there, so
cloning/snapshotting cinder volumes will still be feasible.
Enforcing it only in nova as a kind of 'security feature' may
become misleading.

The more I think about it, the more I get to think that locking is
just there to avoid mistakes, not voluntary misbehaviour.

--

Ahmed