I was made aware of the following blueprint today:

http://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/add-quota-api-for-heat
http://review.openstack.org/#/c/96696/14

Before this goes much further.. I want to suggest that this work be
cancelled, even though the code looks excellent. The reason those limits
are in the config file is that these are not billable items and they
have a _tiny_ footprint in comparison to the physical resources they
will allocate in Nova/Cinder/Neutron/etc.

IMO we don't need fine grained quotas in Heat because everything the
user will create with these templates will cost them and have its own
quota system. The limits (which I added) are entirely to prevent a DoS
of the engine.