I've been fiddling on github. This repo is unfortunately named the same
but is not the same ancestry as yours. Anyway, the branch 'fiddling' has
a working Heat inventory plugin which should give you a hostvar of
'heat_metadata' per host in the given stack.

https://github.com/SpamapS/tripleo-ansible/blob/fiddling/plugins/inventory/heat.py

Note that in the root there is a 'heat-ansible-inventory.conf' that is
an example config (works w/ devstack) to query a heat stack and turn it
into an ansible inventory. That uses oslo.config so all of the usual
patterns for loading configs in openstack should apply.

Excerpts from Allison Randal's message of 2014-08-01 09:07:44 -0700: