On 08/06/2014 11:08 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
On 7 August 2014 15:31, Christopher Yeoh <cbky...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, 7 Aug 2014 11:58:43 +1200
Robert Collins <robe...@robertcollins.net> wrote:
At the moment when cleaning up we don't know if a port was autocreated
by Nova or was passed to us initially through the API.

That seems like a very small patch to fix - record the source, use
that info on cleanup.

It isn't a particularly small patch, but it's already been done by Aaron and been in review for a while now.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/77043/

And there can be
a long period of time between the initial server creation request and
failure/cleanup - the API layer responds to the client well before the
server has successfully started or failed.

Right.

I think this sort of logic is much better handled above the REST API
layer- which doesn't have to mean duplicated code in multiple clients

It doesn't? So we'll build a stateful client side datastore, and
provide language bindings to it from Python, Ruby, Java, etc?

- it can for example be handled by client libraries such as
python-novaclient or openstackclient and neutron related errors more
directly returned to the client rather than having them proxied
all the way through Nova.

I disagree that the REST API is the place for this to happen. I think a behind-the-REST-API notification/eventing piece is a better idea.

Best,
-jay