From: Salvatore Orlando [mailto:sorla...@nicira.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:09 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron][ml2] Mech driver as out-of-tree add-on

I think there will soon be a discussion regarding what the appropriate location
for plugin and drivers should be.
My personal feeling is that Neutron has simply reached the tipping point where
the high number of drivers and plugins is causing unnecessary load for the core
team and frustration for the community.

There I would totally support Luke's initiative about maintaining an
out-of-tree ML2 driver. On the other hand, a plugin/driver "diaspora" might
also have negative consequences such as frequent breakages such as those Bob
was mentioning or confusion for users which might need to end up fetching
drivers from disparate sources.

As mentioned during the last Neutron IRC meeting this is another "process"
aspect which will be discussed soon, with the aim of defining a plan for:
- drastically reduce the number of plugins and drivers which must be maintained
in the main source tree
- enhance control of plugin/driver maintainers over their own code
- preserve the ability of doing CI checks on gerrit as we do today
- raise the CI bar (maybe finally set the smoketest as a minimum requirement?)

Regards,
Salvatore

On 14 August 2014 11:47, loy wolfe