On Aug 24, 2014, at 12:30 PM, Ruslan Kamaldinov <rkamaldi...@mirantis.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Mike Spreitzer <mspre...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> What I really need to know is what to do when committing a change that
>> really does require a change in the sample configuration file.  Of course I
>> tried running generate_sample.sh, but `tox -epep8` still complains.  What is
>> the right procedure to get a correct sample committed?  BTW, I am doing the
>> following admittedly risky thing: I run DevStack, and make my changes in
>> /opt/stack/heat/.
>
> Mike,
>
> It seems that you have oslo.messaging installed from master (default
> behavior of Devstack), while heat.sample.config is built for
> oslo.messaging v 1.3.1. As a quick workaround I'd suggest to downgrade
> oslo.messaging to 1.3.1 in pep8 virtual environment:
> $ cd /opt/stack/heat
> $ source .tox/pep8/bin/activate
> $ pip install oslo.messaging==1.3.1
> $ deactivate
> $ tox -e pep8 # should pass now
>
> I'd also like to know what would be the procedure to update sample
> config when new version of oslo.messaging is released? Maybe we should
> pin requirements to specific version of oslo library and update that
> requirement along with the sample config once new version is released?

Please do not pin Oslo library versions in your project. That will cause issues
updating requirements across the project and make back-ports more difficult in
the future.

We have API compatibility requirements for Oslo libraries, but do not usually
consider the configuration options to be part of the API. We do follow the
normal configuration deprecation policy for options, but under that policy
changes (additions, renames, and moves) are still allowed. We don’t add or
change options lightly, but since those allowed changes will break the
diff-based tests for sample files in projects using the libraries, the best
solution is to generate the sample config file during packaging or a
documentation build and *not* use it as part of gate testing.

Doug