Hi Thiago,

Yes Docker could be used to replace the virtualization layer on the Compute
Node, it's the case if we configure Nova to use the Docker Driver.

In our case, we are orchestrating Docker in OpenStack via Heat.  We used a
VM as a docker host for many reasons :

  - It is a way to economize IP addresses :

If the docker host is a physical server,  every container needs a floating
IP (to be reachable from outside).  When the docker host is a VM, we
associate one floating IP to it and we can access to containers via binding
ports  (@VM-floatingIP:container-binding-port).

  - To achieve stronger isolation and security

  - To easily integrate docker with existing VM-based management and
monitoring tools

  - We think that Docker and virtualization could also be complementary.

Thank you for the question
We will update the document to clarify these points.

https://github.com/MarouenMechtri/Docker-containers-deployment-with-OpenStack-Heat

Regards,
Marouen