Hi all,

Today  I am searching for a solution to distribute OpenStack over several
geographies/availabilitiy zones and we found one from Huawei in [1]. In short,
it's a classical centralized solution like Eucalyptus cloud [2], whereby there
is a central control for all clusters in a top down topology. The central
control actively collects available resource from each cluster and also proxy
the request from one cluster to the other one.

>From my point of view this is where OpenStack comes to play and be different
>from Eucalyptus when OpenStack goes to the direction of a decentralized and
>distributed system. This is why I have some doubts about the solution from
>Huawei.

My question is if we have anything for distributed OpenStack over geography
before? A decentralized OpenStack Cluster can be thought as follows:

Each cluster has their own control node (nova-scheduler, neutron-server..), and
has its own data base to work independently whereby:

1.       Each cluster stores available resources of its local cluster only (for
DB Sharding). This data does not need to be shared between clusters. And the
API from one cluster can ask for healthy states from another one when needed.

2.       All information about one tenant across multiple clusters, i.e tenant
network, VMs info and meta data, should be shared the same and eventually
consistent across clusters. For example: neutron-server creates a tenant
network in its cluster, this tenant network information will be published to
all other clusters data base for L2 population.

3.       Any NoSQL DB out there can help for DB Sharding and Eventually
Consistency.

4.       Each cluster can have its own keystone server (Trust Provider). Each
Trust Provider issues its trust, which also be trusted by the other provider if
both providers trust each other certificates, similar to Web services SSO like
SAML.

Hope to get some feedbacks from you.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStack_cascading_solution
[2] https://www.eucalyptus.com/eucalyptus-cloud/iaas

Kind Regards,
Tri Hoang Vo

Deutsche Telekom AG
Product & Innovations
Tri Hoang Vo
Software Developer
Dernburgstrasse 50, 14057 Berlin, Germany
+49 151 649-22645 (Mobile)
E-Mail: t.vo_ho...@telekom.de<mailto:maik.mus...@telekom.de>
www.telekom.com<http://www.telekom.com/>

Life is for sharing.

Deutsche Telekom AG
Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr. Ulrich Lehner (Chairman)
Board of Management: Timotheus Höttges (Chairman),
Reinhard Clemens, Niek Jan van Damme,
Thomas Dannenfeldt, Dr. Thomas Kremer, Claudia Nemat,
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 6794
Registered office: Bonn

conserve resources by not printing every e-mail.