On 09/11/2014 07:46 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
On 09/10/2014 03:18 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
On 09/10/2014 09:58 AM, Flavio Percoco wrote:
     Other OpenStack components can integrate with Zaqar to surface events
to end users and to communicate with guest agents that run in the
"over-cloud" layer.

I may be misunderstanding the last sentence, but I think *direct*
integration of other OpenStack services with Zaqar would be a bad idea.

Wouldn't this be better done through olso.messaging's notifications in
some way? and/or through some standard protocol (and there's more than
one to choose from)?

Communicating through a specific, fixed messaging system, with its own
unique protocol is actually a step backwards in my opinion, especially
for things that you want to keep as loosely coupled as possible. This is
exactly why various standard protocols emerged.

Yes and no. The answer is yes most of the time but there are use cases,
like the ones mentioned here[0], that make zaqar a good tool for the job.

I certainly wasn't saying that Zaqar is not a good tool. I was merely stating that - in my opinion - wiring it in as the only tool would be a mistake.

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/zaqar-integrated-projects-use-cases

Again, Zaqar might be great for those cases, but none of them describe features that are unique to Zaqar, so other solutions could also fit.

All I'm saying is that if the channel between openstack services and users is configurable, that will give users more choice (as well as operators) and that - in my opinion - would be a good thing.