On 09/15/2014 07:00 PM, Mark Washenberger wrote:
Hi there logging experts,

We've recently had a little disagreement in the glance team about the
appropriate log levels for http requests that end up failing due to user
errors. An example would be a request to get an image that does not
exist, which results in a 404 Not Found request.

On one hand, this event is an error, so DEBUG or INFO seem a little too
low.

But it's not an error. I mean, it's an error for the user, but the software (Glance) has not acted in a way that is either unrecoverable or requires action.

I think DEBUG is the appropriate level to log this. That said, standard WSGI logging dictates that there be a single INFO-level log line that logs the URI request made and the HTTP return code sent, so there should already be an INFO level log line that would have the 40X return code in it.

Best,
-jay

> On the other hand, this error doesn't generally require any kind of
operator investigation or indicate any actual failure of the service, so
perhaps it is excessive to log it at WARN or ERROR.

Please provide feedback to help us resolve this dispute if you feel you can!

Thanks,
markwash