The HDN plugin is purely for educational purposes.

I remember it worked with devstack, but as I've not run it for a while it
might be broken now.
If you've found this plugin you should also have found the slides which
introduced it.

First you should assess whether you need to implement a new plugin, a ML2
driver, or a service plugin.
The HDN example will be useful for you only in the first case.
Nevertheless, it does not cover interactions with 3rd party backends, and
neutron built-in agents.
It is merely an example showing how to provide an implementation of the
neutron v2 plugin interface using the DB mixing approach which most
plugins, including ML2, use.

Salvatore