From: Steven Dake [sd...@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:40 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List
Subject: [openstack-dev] [all][tripleo] New Project -> Kolla: Deploy and Manage
OpenStack using Kubernetes and Docker

Hi folks,

I'm pleased to announce the development of a new project Kolla which is Greek
for glue :). Kolla has a goal of providing an implementation that deploys
OpenStack using Kubernetes and Docker. This project will begin as a StackForge
project separate from the TripleO/Deployment program code base. Our long term
goal is to merge into the TripleO/Deployment program rather then create a new
program.

Docker is a container technology for delivering hermetically sealed
applications and has about 620 technical contributors [1]. We intend to produce
docker images for a variety of platforms beginning with Fedora 20. We are
completely open to any distro support, so if folks want to add new Linux
distribution to Kolla please feel free to submit patches :)

Kubernetes at the most basic level is a Docker scheduler produced by and used
within Google [2]. Kubernetes has in excess of 100 technical contributors.
Kubernetes is more then just a scheduler, it provides additional functionality
such as load balancing and scaling and has a significant roadmap.

The #tripleo channel on Freenode will be used for Kolla developer and user
communication. Even though we plan to become part of the Deployment program
long term, as we experiment we believe it is best to hold a separate weekly one
hour IRC meeting on Mondays at 2000 UTC in #openstack-meeting [3].

This project has been discussed with the current TripleO PTL (Robert Collins)
and he seemed very supportive and agreed with the organization of the project
outlined above. James Slagle, a TripleO core developer, has kindly offered to
liase between Kolla and the broader TripleO community.

I personally feel it is necessary to start from a nearly empty repository when
kicking off a new project. As a result, there is limited code in the repository
[4] at this time. I suspect folks will start cranking out a kick-ass
implementation once the Kolla/Stackforge integration support is reviewed by the
infra team [5].

The initial core team is composed of Steven Dake, Ryan Hallisey, James Lebocki,
Jeff Peeler, James Slagle, Lars Kellogg-Sedman, and David Vossel. The core team
will be reviewed every 6 weeks to add fresh developers.

Please join the core team in designing and inventing this rockin' new
technology!

Regards
-steve

[1] https://github.com/docker/docker [2]