I will briefly explain our use case. This idea is related to another project to enable the network boot in OpenStack https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/pxe-boot-instance

We want to make use of the extra-dhcp-opt to indicate as tftp server a specific instance inside our deployed system, so it will provide the right operating system to the other instances booting from network (once the feature from the linked blueprint will be implemented).

On the tftp server we want to be able to filter what boot file to provide to different class of instances and our idea was to identify each class with 2 hexadecimal of the UUID (while the rest would be random generated, still "granting" its uniqueness).

Anyway this is a customization for our specific environment and for a feature that is still in early proposal stage, so we wanted to propose as a separate feature to allow user custom UUID and manage the generation out of OpenStack.