See in-line @PCM

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL …..…. p...@cisco.com
IRC ……..… pcm_ (irc.freenode.com)
TW ………... @pmichali
GPG Key … 4525ECC253E31A83
Fingerprint .. 307A 96BB 1A4C D2C7 931D 8D2D 4525 ECC2 53E3 1A83

On Sep 30, 2014, at 11:31 PM, masoom alam <masoom.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Apologies for late response. I was having throat infection.
>

> Can you show the ipsec-site-connection-create command used on each end?
>

> neutron ipsec-site-connection-create --name vpnconnection1 --vpnservice-id
> myvpn --ikepolicy-id ikepolicy1 --ipsecpolicy-id ipsecpolicy1 --peer-address
> <public address> --peer-id <q-router-ip> --peer-cidr 10.2.0.0/24 --psk secret
>
> In the above command: --peer-address is the public ip of the node having
> devstack setup -- you can call it devstack West
> --peer-id: we are giving the ip of the q-router
>
> Make sense?
>

> Can you show the topology with IP addresses used (and indicate how the two
> clouds are connected)?
> Are you using devstack? Two physical nodes? How are they interconnected?
>
> We are using exactly the same topology as shown below even the floating ip
> addresses are same one mentioned below. However, Our Internet gateway is a
> public ip. Similarly, other Internet GW is also a public ip.

@PCM So is the public IP for the router (172.24.4.226) an internet on the
Internet?  In the example, IIRC, the quantum router has an IP on the public
network, and the GW IP is also on the same network (172.24.4.225). I think the
latter, is assigned to the external bridge on the host (br-ex). Is that what
you have?

>       (10.1.0.0/24 - DevStack East)
>               |  10.1.0.1
>      [Quantum Router]
>               |  172.24.4.226
>               |  172.24.4.225
>      [Internet GW]
>      [Internet GW]
>               | 172.24.4.232
>               | 172.24.4.233
>      [Quantum Router]
>               |  10.2.0.1
>      (10.2.0.0/24 DevStack West)
>

> First thing would be to ensure that you can ping from one host to another
> over the public IPs involved. You can then go to the namespace of the router
> and see if you can ping the public I/F of the other end’s router.
>
> We can ping anything on the host having devstack setup for example
> google.com, but GW of the other host.

@PCM Are you saying that the host for devstack East can ping on the Internet,
but cannot ping the GW IP of the other Devstack setup (also on the internet)?

I guess I need to understand what the “GW” actually is, in your setup. For the
example given, it is the host’s br-ex interface and is on the same subnet as
the router’s public interface.

> However, we cannot ping from within the CirrOS instance. I have run the
> traceroute command and we are reaching till 172.24.4.225 but not beyond this
> point.

@PCM By 172.24.4.225 do you mean the Internet IP for the br-ex interface on the
local host? The cirrus VM, irrespective of VPN, should be able to ping the
router’s public IP, the gateway IP and the far end public IPs. I’m struggling
to understand what you have setup. Is the internet GW just the br-ex or some
external router?

Should like you have some connectivity issues outside of VPN.  From the Cirros
VM should should be able to ping everything, except the Cirros VMs on the other
side.

> BTW we did some other experiments as well. For example, when we tried to
> explicitly link our br-ex (172.24.4.225) with eth0 (Internet GW), machine got
> corrupted. Same is the issue if we do a hard reboot, Neutron gets corrupted :)

@PCM This seems to be the point of confusion. On the example, br-ex would have
an IP on the public network. Sounds like that is not the case here. The br-ex
would have, a port that is the interface that is actually connected to the
public network. For example, I may have eth1 on my system added to br-ex, and
eth1 would be connected to a switch that connects this to the other node (in a
simple lab environment).

Not sure I understand what you mean by “machine got corrupted” and “Neutron
gets corrupted”. Can you elaborate?

When I set up this in a lab, I add the interface to br-ex and then I stack. In
the localrc, the interface is specified, along with br-ex.

> You can look at the screen-q-vpn.log (assuming devstack used) to see if any
> errors during setup.
>
> Note: When I stack, I turn off neutron security groups and then set nova
> security groups to allow SSH and ICMP. I imagine the alternative would be to
> setup neutron security groups to allow these two protocols.

@PCM What are you doing for security groups? I disable Neutron security groups
and have set Nova to allow ICMP and SSH. I think you can instead, do:

LIBVIRT_FIREWALL_DRIVER=nova.virt.firewall.NoopFirewallDriver

HTHs,

PCM