Hi Steve,
Could you post this question on ask.openstack.org? The -dev mailing list is not for usage questions; ask.openstack is a much better place to ensure that others with the same question will benefit from the answer.

FWIW I'd be really surprised if the version of cloud-init in CoreOS is so old that it doesn't support multipart-mime.

cheers,
Zane.