On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 01:45:43PM +0000, Murray, Paul (HP Cloud) wrote:
Hi All,

The following question relates to this change:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/125091/

This change adds a field to the ComputeNode object called "supported_instances". It also
adds an object called "SupportedInstance" that has fields called
"arch", "hvtype" and "vm_mode".

All these names already exist in the nova code, but when put together in
these objects they seem a little odd (i.e. supported_instances may be a
little misleading, hvtype has no hyphen but vm_mode does). This is where
they come from:

-          supported_instances is the name of the corresponding field of
  the compute_nodes database table. The supported_instances field actually
  contains a the list of architecture, hypervisor type and vm_mode
  combinations supported by the compute node. It is also the existing
  field name used in a dict provided by the virt drivers to report this
  list to nova.

-          arch, hvtype and vm_mode are the names used by variables
   throughout nova that refer to the relevant data obtained contained
   in supported_instances.

The question is: are these the names we actually want to use?

I'd like to just kill the underscore in 'vm_mode' as I don't think it
adds any real value.

The value it adds (and that an underscore would add in hvtype -> hv_type) is that the name would match the naming style for the vast majority of everything else in OpenStack. See, for examples:

We use vm_state not vmstate. power_state, not powerstate, port_status not portstatus, disk_container not diskcontainer, etc.

Let me know opinions and I will fix the patch accordingly.

I don't think we want to block your patch on this item. We can just do a
cleanup afterwards, rather than mixing it in with your patch.

As mentioned in the review, I disagree on this point, since "doing a cleanup afterwards" would mean having to increment the nova.objects.SupportedInstance model VERSION as soon as it went into master. I say let's make the quick change now and avoid having to write code like this in the next patchset:

 if client_version <= (1,0):
    # We renamed hvtype to hv_type in 1.1
    self.hv_type = fields.get('hvtype')

Best,