Hi,

In the Juno cycle there is proposal of ModularL2Agent [1,2], which is very
useful to develop agent for new backend with much less redundant code. Without
that, we have to either fork a new agent by copying large amount of existing
l2agent code, or patch existing l2agent. However in the K pad [3] it seems that
this feature disappeared?

Now there are some interest on hybrid backend (e.g. Hierachical Binding), and
some BPs are proposed to patch OVS agent. But it has two drawbacks: 1) tightly
coupled with OVS; 2) OVS agent became unnecessarily heavier. With ML2agent we
only need to add separated driver modules in the common L2agent framework, but
not to patch the monolithic ovs agent.

Also if it is convenient  to write only modules but not the whole agent,
backend providers may prefer to move out most of the logic from MD to agent
side driver, for better stability for Neutron controller node and easier
co-existing with other backend. Ofagent shows good compatibility of l2pop to
build vxlan/gre tunnel network between itself and other ovs/linuxbridge agent.

Or are there any general consideration about Neutron agent side consolidation,
either L2/L3/L4-7?

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Neutron/ModularL2Agent#Possible_Directions
2. https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/juno-neutron-modular-l2-agent
3. https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-neutron-summit-topics