On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 01:27:20PM +0200, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> On 10/14/2014 12:43 PM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> >On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:55:30AM +0200, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> >>Hi everyone,
> >>
> >>As outlined in the "Remove merge.py"[1] spec, Peter Belanyi and I have built
> >>the templates for controller, nova compute, swift and cinder nodes that can
> >>be deploying directly to Heat (i.e. no merge.py pass is necessary).
> >>
> >>The patches:
> >>
> >>https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123100/
> >>https://review.openstack.org/#/c/123713/
> >>
> >>I'd like to talk about testing and merging them.
> >>
> >>Both Peter and myself have successfully run them through devtest multiple
> >>times. The Tuskar and TripleO UI folks have managed to hook them up to the
> >>UI and make things work, too.
> >>
> >>That said, there is a number of limitations which don't warrant making them
> >>the new default just yet:
> >>
> >>* Juno Heat is required
> >>* python-heatclient version 0.2.11 is required to talk to Heat
> >>* There is currently no way in Heat to drop specific nodes from a
> >>ResourceGroup (say because of a hardware failure) so the "ellision" feature
> >>from merge.py is not supported yet
> >
> >FYI, I saw that comment from Clint in 123713, and have been looking
> >into ways to add this feature to Heat - hopefully will have some code to
> >post soon.
>
> Oh, cool! It was on my todo list of things to tackle next. If I can help in
> any way (e.g. testing), let me know.

I've posted an initial patch for discussion:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/128365/

This is pretty much the simplest way I could think of to solve (my
interpretation of) the requirement - feedback welcome re if I'm on the
right track.

The proposed solution is to do a stack update with force_remove specifying
the index of ResourceGroup members you wish to drop out of the group (if
the count is unchanged, this will build a new resource and delete the one
specified).

Please let me know if this meets the requirement for replacement of the
"elide" functionality, thanks!

Steve