I've read through the thread and the various links, and to me this still sounds
an awful lot like having multiple regions in Keystone.

First of all I think we're in danger of getting badly mixed up in terminology
here around AZs which is an awfully overloaded term - esp when we make
comparisons to AWS AZs.  Whether we think the current Openstack usage of these
terms or not, lets at least stick to how they are currently defined and used in
Openstack:

AZs - A scheduling concept in Nova and Cinder.    Simply provides some
isolation schemantic about a compute host or storage server.  Nothing to do
with explicit physical or geographical location, although some degree of that
(separate racks, power, etc) is usually implied.

Regions - A keystone concept for a collection of Openstack Endpoints.   They
may be distinct (a completely isolated set of Openstack service) or overlap
(some shared services).  Openstack clients support explicit user selection of a
region.

Cells - A scalability / fault-isolation concept within Nova.  Because Cells
aspires to provide all Nova features transparently across cells this kind or
acts like multiple regions where only the Nova service is distinct (Networking
has to be common, Glance has to be common or at least federated in a
transparent way, etc).   The difference from regions is that the user doesn’t
have to make an explicit region choice - they get a single Nova URL for all
cells.   From what I remember Cells originally started out also using the
existing APIs as the way to connect the Cells together, but had to move away
from that because of the performance overhead of going through multiple layers.

Now with Cascading it seems that we're pretty much building on the Regions
concept, wrapping it behind a single set of endpoints for user convenience,
overloading the term AZ to re-expose those sets of services to allow the user
to choose between them (doesn't this kind of negate the advantage of not having
to specify the region in the client- is that really such a bit deal for users
?) , and doing something to provide a sort of federated Neutron service -
because as we all know the hard part in all of this is how you handle the
Networking.

It kind of feels to me that if we just concentrated on the part of this that is
working out how to distribute/federate Neutron then we'd have a solution that
could be mapped as easily cells and/or regions - and I wonder if then why
really need yet another aggregation concept ?

Phil