From: Ian Wells <ijw.ubu...@cack.org.uk<mailto:ijw.ubu...@cack.org.uk>>
Date: torsdag 23 oktober 2014 23:58
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron] [nfv] VM-based VLAN trunking blueprints

There are two categories of problems:

1. some networks don't pass VLAN tagged traffic, and it's impossible to detect
this from the API
2. it's not possible to pass traffic from multiple networks to one port on one
machine as (e.g.) VLAN tagged traffic

(1) is addressed by the VLAN trunking network blueprint, XXX. Nothing else
addresses this, particularly in the case that one VM is emitting tagged packets
that another one should receive and Openstack knows nothing about what's going
on.

We should get this in, and ideally in quickly and in a simple form where it
simply tells you if a network is capable of passing tagged traffic.  In
general, this is possible to calculate but a bit tricky in ML2 - anything using
the OVS mechanism driver won't pass VLAN traffic, anything using VLANs should
probably also claim it doesn't pass VLAN traffic (though actually it depends a
little on the switch), and combinations of L3 tunnels plus Linuxbridge seem to
pass VLAN traffic just fine.  Beyond that, it's got a backward compatibility
mode, so it's possible to ensure that any plugin that doesn't implement VLAN
reporting is still behaving correctly per the specification.

(2) is addressed by several blueprints, and these have overlapping ideas that
all solve the problem.  I would summarise the possibilities as follows:

A. Racha's L2 gateway blueprint,
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/gateway-api-extension, which (at
its simplest, though it's had features added on and is somewhat OVS-specific in
its detail) acts as a concentrator to multiplex multiple networks onto one as a
trunk.  This is a very simple approach and doesn't attempt to resolve any of
the hairier questions like making DHCP work as you might want it to on the
ports attached to the trunk network.
B. Isaku's L2 gateway blueprint, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/100278/,
which is more limited in that it refers only to external connections.
C. Erik's VLAN port blueprint,
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/vlan-aware-vms, which tries to
solve the addressing problem mentioned above by having ports within ports (much
as, on the VM side, interfaces passing trunk traffic tend to have subinterfaces
that deal with the traffic streams).
D. Not a blueprint, but an idea I've come across: create a network that is a
collection of other networks, each 'subnetwork' being a VLAN in the network
trunk.
E. Kyle's very old blueprint,
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/quantum-network-bundle-api -
where we attach a port, not a network, to multiple networks.  Probably doesn't
work with appliances.

I would recommend we try and find a solution that works with both external
hardware and internal networks.  (B) is only a partial solution.

Considering the others, note that (C) and (D) add significant complexity to the
data model, independently of the benefits they bring.  (A) adds one new
functional block to networking (similar to today's routers, or even today's
Nova instances).

Finally, I suggest we consider the most prominent use case for multiplexing
networks.  This seems to be condensing traffic from many networks to either a
service VM or a service appliance.  It's useful, but not essential, to have
Neutron control the addresses on the trunk port subinterfaces.

So, that said, I personally favour (A) is the simplest way to solve our current
needs, and I recommend paring (A) right down to its basics: a block that has
access ports that we tag with a VLAN ID, and one trunk port that has all of the
access networks multiplexed onto it.  This is a slightly dangerous block, in
that you can actually set up forwarding blocks with it, and that's a concern;
but it's a simple service block like a router, it's very, very simple to
implement, and it solves our immediate problems so that we can make forward
progress.  It also doesn't affect the other solutions significantly, so someone
could implement (C) or (D) or (E) in the future.
--
Ian.

On 23 October 2014 02:13, Alan Kavanagh